Old Southwest is an historic neighborhood listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places. Old Southwest has a wealth of architectural styles ranging from Vernacular and Neoclassical to Tudor Revival. The development of Old Southwest dates to the late 19th Century when the land was annexed by the City from Roanoke County
in 1890. A great number of homes were built around the turn of the century. Most of the structures in the neighborhood today were built by the end of the 1920s.